The Vice-Chancellor and President, Attila Brungs, is UTS's chief executive officer. He is responsible to the UTS Council for the effective management of the university.
Professor Brungs's role includes:
- the strategic positioning of UTS and building the external profile of the university, both in Australia and internationally
- developing and communicating a clear vision for UTS and inspiring the university community to work together to achieve its strategic objectives
- establishing broad planning targets and priorities
- building a strong and united senior leadership team and supporting a vibrant UTS community culture.
- defining annually the strategic change priorities to be progressed by each member of the executive
- working to ensure UTS acquires the necessary public and private resources to underpin the successful achievement of the -university's goals and delivery against its public purpose – to support and benefit society
- playing a leading role in the development of public higher education policy in Australia
- pursuing UTS public service mission through engagement at the highest levels of government, industry and the community.
Professor Brungs is a fellow of the Academy of Technology and Engineering, a Rhodes Scholar, with a Doctorate in Inorganic Chemistry from Oxford University, and recipient of the University Medal in Industrial Chemistry from the University of New South Wales.
Some of Professor Brungs’s present key appointments include the Chair of the Australian Technology Network; the NSW Innovation and Productivity Council; the Federal Government’s National University Precincts Advisory Committee; and the StartupAus Board. His experience also includes many distinguished past board and committee memberships, including not-for-profit organisations, in addition to numerous state and federal government and institutional appointments.